Friday, July 24, 2009

How Many Times Can I Break til I Shatter?

We have suffered another huge loss.  One that leaves us asking "Why, why, why?" all over again.  Of course, nothing will ever compare to the loss of Webb, so even a loss that one year ago would have been hugely monumental only pales in comparison.  But we have not yet entered our season of blessings.  Soon?

People say bad things happen in threes.  Ok, I think we reached that number a long time ago.  But as I sit here, crying and trembling over my keyboard, I still am not in despair.  When Webb died, I was drawn very close to God, right underneath his loving arms, and I did not once doubt his presence.  Lately, as that tangible connection started to fade, I am left asking all my questions over again.  Why do bad things happen to good people?  Why do multiple bad things happen to good people?  This just is not fair.  It isn't.  And I don't know another way to say that.  But I am not in despair.  His grace is sufficient.  As my precious grandmother used to say, "This too shall pass."

I know my latest posts have been heavy.  My heart has been heavy.  This grief is heavy.  It is hard to walk around with this weight I constantly carry.  We are being lifted up - I know it and I feel it.  This too shall pass.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Ashley, don't apologize for the heaviness. That's the season you're in right now. I started my blog because of that type of season and it was very theraputic. As I read this post, there is a book that comes to mind that I read when going through a season of darkness and pain. It's called "Pain, Perplexity and Promotion" by Bob Sorge (Oasis House Publishers.) It's basically a modern breakdown of the book of Job. That book was like a handbook for me and really got me through some of the hard days. I just thought I'd mention it. Love and prayers to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete