Friday, May 28, 2010

Happy Birthday, Baby...

I have been crying a lot lately. At first, I didn't know why. After all, I have plenty of reasons to cry, but tears don't come like they used to, so this latest cycle of crying caught me a bit off guard. At first I thought nothing very specific had happened to start this emotional roller coaster, even though I certainly have been "dealing with" my fair share. Then I started to put it all together. It's the time of year. Obviously, I know exactly when the twins' birthday is: June 5. That date is solidified in my mind as well as the other most significant days of my life. But June 5 is not the only day that brings my mind back to happier times. It starts around the middle of May when I was, only three years ago, miserably huge and pregnant with the twins. I remember school getting out and seeing those "Congratulations Graduates!" signs at the front of my neighborhood, and I used to picture the future and seeing Bo, Whit and Webb's names on them. I remember preparing for the twins' first birthday party, and then having the party in our back yard and laughing at Webb screaming through "Happy Birthday." At the time of year when summer is about to begin, when the pool is about to open, when it just starts getting really hot---I am instantly taken back to the two years when my life was perfect. When I didn't think children could die. When I certainly never imagined one of mine would die. Now June 5 is a day of mixed emotions. Of course, joy because Whit is another year older, and that is something we certainly don't take for granted anymore. But also intense sadness because his twin should be by his side, talking up a storm, opening presents, eating cake and enjoying life the way he is. It is incomprehensible that he is not here. And as of this past Wednesday, Webb has been gone 17 months. It is almost to the point where he has been gone longer than he was with us. How can that be? The pain is still so present and raw. It still seems so unbelievable. I am still struggling to find answers. I want to know Webb as a three year old. I want to see him playing with his brothers at the pool all summer. I want to know if his personality still would be the way I remember....I want so much. And yet it is out of my hands. He is out of my arms. I cling to my other boys, and they have gotten me through some horrific days. But this missing piece of my soul remains. June 5. So much joy, so much hurt, wrapped up into one little day and two little red headed boys. How can this be the way that it is?

2 comments:

  1. I think about you a lot but especially lately knowing the twins birthday is approaching. Just wanted to give you a hug and let you know others are still here for you, thinking about you and keeping you and your family in our prayers, always.
    Love and Hugs,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your words, I am remembering my own journey through the pain of such a loss as this.

    Anytime I am faced with yet another parent who has lost a precious child I lift my voice and say, "Lord, if my Kathryn died for such a time as this..." that I might be able to bring even the smallest of hope to one who grieves. I pray that you find my words filled with hope.

    Our precious Kathryn Grace would have turned 16 at the end of February. April 10 was the 15th anniversary of her death. There are times when the remembering is as if it were only yesterday, and others when I feel as though someone else altogether lived through that horrific event.

    The words of encouragement I give are these, Christ is our hope - death truly has no sting and the grave no victory! Hallelujah! When I speak to others at the funerals of those they love and have lost all I say is this, "I know that right now you don't know how you or if you will survive this. But, you will survive this."

    Praying for you as you grieve and understanding the grief over the loss of those things that should have come,
    Lori McGuire
    www.HomeForHIM.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete