Saturday, April 25, 2009

Webb

As I approach the fourth month without Webb, I am still bewildered, scared, unsure and confused.  I think about the last four months and seems like at least 4 years.  I cannot fathom this is our new reality, but I guess it is.  And when it is, there is nothing left to do but (I shudder to say the words)....accept it.  Accept that one child is gone.  Accept that I have a baby I will never see grow up, never see get married, never hold his firstborn.  I wanted to worry about him making the baseball team, taking out his first car, drinking in college.  And I wanted to tell everyone about how, when he was a baby, he would roll instead of crawl, laugh as loud and crackly as an old man.  I wanted to look back on those memories and smile, barely able to remember.  Instead, those memories are all I have of sweet Webb and I keep playing them over and over and over and over....so of course I will never forget.  Webb was almost 19 months when he died.  Old enough to have his own personality.  Of course he had a twin and and a brother 18 months his senior, so we had lots of developing personalities in the house.  And as I sit here, I have no idea what his favorite color was (actually, I don't know that about my other 2 boys either).  But I know he loved orange juice (a little too much, it is all he would drink), Elmo, any kind of "ball" he could find (including Christmas ornaments, apples, etc)...I know he would sit and hide behind the brown chair when he finally wrangled a toy away from his brothers and just quietly, peacefully play there.  He loved playing on the couch, jumping from side to side and making me a nervous wreck.  He was my cuddle baby and would lay on my chest for hours.  Bo and Whit would never do that...maybe Webb knew I would need that memory later.  He was serious like my father, silly like me, looked like Zac.  He was all boy and all of us combined into one perfect, precious child.  How can you even measure the void he has left in our hearts and souls?  I can accept reality.  I am an analytical, accepting kind of person.  But I just can't accept that a soul that precious, that alive, isn't right here beside me as I type this.  I had a dream about Webb last night.  He and Whit both walked into the room.  I kept looking back and forth, back and forth and touching both of their heads, trying to make myself understand there were two there.  Zac had brought them in and I said, "It's Webb."  He said," Yes, they managed to keep him alive, but he only has tonight.  What should we do?"  In my dream I did not respond.  I just scooped him up and rocked him, kissing his sweet face over and over.  The dream eventually ended, and I was still doing just that.  I believe in my heart that dream was no coincidence.  He knew I needed him last night.  I went to his cemetery yesterday and told him how much I missed him, and if I could just hold him one more time, I'd give anything....  call it what you will, my mind giving my heart what it wants, or whatever non believers say.  All I know is I felt his skin and smelled his hair, and for me, it felt a lot like heaven.

2 comments:

  1. That made me cry. You have such a way with words! How my heart breaks for you. Be assured though how happy Webb is now at this very minute. Think about him laughing in heaven. I think it was Dwight L. Moody, founder of Moody Bible Institute in Chicago that said something like this. "One day I will be buried and people will say that I am dead. Don't you believe it! I will be more alive than ever!" If you can, sometime read Randy Alcorn's book "Heaven". I know it doesn't fill empty arms, but what HOPE (1 Thess 4) and joy it does give a believer in Christ! Although those memories might be painful, yet in a way, they are sweet. When my mother-in-law passed away, I got so angry at God. I loved her so much! I couldn't understand why God would take her so early. She was such a wonderful grandmother! I just have to trust Him. But now, when I have memories of her, it is like a kiss from heaven. Very sweet and makes me smile. It doesn't compare I know to the death of a child, but maybe someday, you too, will smile as you think about Webb. He was a gift to you for those short 18 months.

    You might want to check out our dear friend, Jess McClenahan's blog, if you haven't already. Her baby Cora passed away in February. Age 11 months. themcclenahans.blogspot.com She knows what you are going through too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, I do not have any words to give comfort to your aching heart but I am asking God to wrap His great arms around you. I truly believe He gave you that precious dream so you could feel close to Webb and kiss his sweet angelic face again. Somehow this gives relief to our griefing spirit. I, too, have had dreams like this of my daughter. These dreams are rare but oh so special! Have you considered joining a grief support group? I think it really helps to be with others that understand your pain.

    With thoughts and prayer, Sue

    ReplyDelete