Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Lately....

I have been dealing with dilemmas lately I never thought I would have to deal with.  Dilemmas no mother should ever face.  Because I have been back to work, assimilated back into the real world, I am faced with the real world situations I have been dreading.  Last week was particularly hard.  I had three people ask me how many children I have.  Because these were people I have never met and am not particularly planning on dealing with much, I answered, "Two."  Of course, this came with guilt, but right now, it's the easiest answer.  What should I say?  Three?  Then I would face the dreaded follow up questions...boys or girls?  Oh, twins!!  How old are they?  Then I would inevitably have to explain Webb, and can you imagine doing that to a complete stranger?  The awkwardness that would follow?  And what if I burst into tears?  So for now, I say two.  It's the easy way out.  I am not strong enough to say something like, "Three, two are living."  I cannot fathom how that answer from a stranger would have affected me five months ago.

I am still haunted with memories of the hospital.  I am still paralyzed with fear and disbelief when I think about all that happened at the end of last December.  I am still trying to find a way to make it different, to change the outcome.  But of course I can't.  I am still trying to blame myself for Webb's tumor....that sounds ridiculous, but I am his mother.  I can't help but think I did something, or didn't do something, to cause it.  I always come back to the same conclusion, it wasn't my fault...I look at his identical twin who had the exact same environment in the womb and out and is perfectly healthy.  It was just a fluke.  Bad luck.  We had the same chance of a child getting a brain tumor as we did winning the lottery.  Why the hell couldn't we win the lottery???

I am still incredibly thankful for Zac, Bo and Whit.  Their mere presence is the medicine I need.  I vaguely remember a nurse telling me they would be what kept us going.  She was right.  Last night I was sitting on the couch, looking at the backs of my two boys' heads, trying to picture Webb sitting there too.  It was such a clear void.  I was remembering the nights when all three of my precious sons were together, laughing and playing.  All of a sudden, as I was picturing these nights and feeling very sad, sweet Whit jumped up and ran over to the couch to sit on my lap.  He didn't say anything, he just sucked his thumb and lay on me until it was time for him to go to bed.  It was something Webb would have done.  And at that moment, I was overcome with the feeling Webb was right there, whispering in his brother's ear to come comfort me.  

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Ashley....Webb was there and he always will be! What a beautiful experience. I have a feeling that no matter what, Whit and Webb will have a connection that will last forever. As always, my thoughts and prayers are with you every day.
    All my love...and then some,
    Heather Rutherford

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post Ashley...thanks for sharing your honest feelings. I am thinking of you and praying for you and your boys everyday. I know that Webb has his arms wrapped around you giving you the strength you need right now. Know how many people are praying for you. You are an amazing woman and mother.
    Katie White Gordon

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't know me, but I've been following your blog since the beginning. I know friends of yours which is how I found you. I have a very close friend who lost her first born after 6 long months in the NICU. She has 2 other children now, and she too has told me that answering the question of how many children you have is one of the toughest questions. She too doesn't really know how to respond. I don't know why I'm telling you this. Maybe just to say that there's no easy way to answer that question and you're not alone. All mothers who have suffered a loss will struggle with that question. Just do the best you can. You have a tremendous amount of strength. And you have a wonderful support system.

    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't know me, I found your blog through a google news alert. I do the website for the Brain Tumor Action Network and when I have nothing else to do (ha!) I troll for news items of interest to brain tumor patients and their parents and caregivers.

    I lost my 4-year old niece to a brain tumor in 1996, after a 19-month battle. Bidding her goodbye was the saddest thing I have ever done.

    7 years later my son was diagnosed with a different kind of malignant, fast-growing brain tumor, 3 days after his 9th birthday.

    That was 2003. 5 1/2 years later he is still here, but we battle the aftereffects of radiation and other treatment. It's a happy outcome of sorts.

    I am one of the moderators of an online group for the parents of kids with brain tumors, both living and gone to heaven. It's truly alarming how many of us are out there, it's a rare thing until it happens to you. No cancer or known causes in our family but I have to wonder.

    Anyway, if you have any interest in being hooked up with other parents who have situations similar to yours, the sad truth is that I know several.

    I don't participate actively in the online groups most of the time these days, but sometimes it's the only place where you can be perfectly understood because everyone speaks the same sad language.

    I am so terribly sorry about little Webb and I will keep all your family in my prayers.

    bkbell at gmail

    ReplyDelete