Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Growing Up

My life has been scarily "normal" lately.  I traveled to New Orleans this past weekend for my best friend's wedding, I have been going to work a little bit and spending as much time as possible outside with the boys.  From the outside, I think I look like I'm doing good.  Maybe at those times, in those moments, I am.  However, my pain on the inside is still so very raw and real.  I think at the beginning, I was so shocked and traumatized I could not even function.  Then, I started the "trance" mode where I could not concentrate or tear my mind away from Webb and the horrific end result for even one minute.  But the past week or so, I have felt a slight shift.  A small part of my mind is coming to terms with the fact that life really does go on.  As much as I've said it on this blog, I think a minuscule part of me finally started to believe it.  I still want time to rewind to December when I had Webb in my arms.  I would give ANYTHING for that.  But time does not rewind, no matter how bad we wish it would.  It is March.  Soon it will be summer, then fall, then Christmas again.  And we still will not have our precious Webb.  So what is my option?  Stop living?  Stay in bed?  That would be too easy.  Instead, I have to keep one foot in front of the other.  I have to live each day as though there will not be another, because we have been hit in the face with that reality a little too soon and a little too harshly.  I have to go on, for Zac, for Bo, for Whit...even for Webb as hard as that seems.  I have to push forward and tell you all about this journey so you know that life does go on in the midst of unthinkable despair.  God has not left my side.  There were times I almost wanted Him to so I could be as angry as I wanted to be.  And I still get so angry, but He does not leave.  I picture Him seeing me as a spoiled child, stomping my feet because He didn't give me what I wanted, much the same way as Bo and Whit do when I tell them they can't have cookies for breakfast.  Why??  I keep asking Him.  "You'll understand when you grow up," He answers, just as I do when Bo and Whit ask me the same questions.  Of course, "growing up" is not easy, and I may never be fully "grown," at least not in this lifetime.  I have to hope when God's plan is revealed, it will make perfect sense why Webb is not with us.  It will not happen in this lifetime, but I have faith it will happen.  Right now, I have to focus on my perfect angel up in heaven, waiting for us, but not impatiently.  I have to live this life with no regrets.  This life of losing a child is painful and real and scary, but it is my life.  I will make the best of it, no matter how hard that is to do.  So when you see me laughing, smiling and enjoying the real world, it is not because I am in denial.  (Oh, how I almost wish for denial.)  It is because at that time, at that moment, I am enjoying life.  Fortunately, there are about a million moments in my days no one except God will ever see....and it is in those moments and those times I feel His love the most.  He wills me to go on when I cannot fathom it.  Every morning, He helps me out of bed and into the world.  Most of you will never see the struggle I go through just to leave the house.  But somehow, some way, I do it and I sometimes even enjoy it.  Then, there are times I do not enjoy it and the simplest things become too much.  Today at work, a situation that usually I would let roll off my back sent me into hysterics.  The pain of losing Webb is still always at the front of my mind, and that is a hard thing to function around.  There is not a moment that goes by that I do not think of him.  But I keep living because of him, for him.  And by the grace of God, I keep pushing on.   

2 comments:

  1. I Cor. 1: 5, That in everything ye are enriched by Him.... It is going to happen, we are going to receive blessings and a greater knowing of the Lord through all this, It has been two years for us and just recently have had some reaping from the tears that have been sown such as contacts that have been made with others through all this, how Joel's story has blessed and benefited others and more, so there is redeeming ways the Lord allows us to be apart of. Keep keeping on....
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not know what it's like to lose a child. But, I do know that living life does not mean that you have forgotten your child, the pain he went through, or that you don't miss him more than words can say. I also know that grieving terribly does not mean that you have no faith. You simply have a life so that you can live. And, that's the only thing that you can do. Live.

    It WILL make perfect sense why Webb is not with you. All of the answers are there. It just may take some time for you to find them.

    Webb died because he had an imperfect body. We all have imperfect bodies, and that's why we all die. God did not take your son away from you. Like you have said, he knows that pain and would never inflict that on innocent people. BUT, that doesn't mean that you will not see Webb again! God has provided a hope! That hope is at John 5:28, 29. (Also, John 11:25 and 1 Corinthians 15:21,22.) It is my hope, that it comforts you and helps you to find the answers that you seek.

    Maryanne
    mailmaryanne@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete