Sunday, March 8, 2009

To My Boys...

I loved every one of you the minute I found out about you.  I can honestly say I did not understand what unconditional love was until I saw Bo for the first time.  I did not think it was possible to love anything that much....until I saw Webb and Whit.  I would sit in the rocking chair in your nurseries and hold you for hours.  Sometimes just one of you at a time, smelling your sweet baby skin, sometimes all three of you at once.  I remember the feeling of overwhelming joy the first time each of you smiled at me.  I remember looking at you, thinking, who was I before these boys were born?  I always heard you would die for your children, and I thought it too, but I never wanted so desperately to be able to die for one of you until I found out Webb had a brain tumor.  If it were possible to trade places with him, I would have done it without hesitation.  Bo and Whit, you are the reason I still get out of bed in the morning even though my heart is broken.  Webb, you are the reason I want to be a better mother and the thing I am most looking forward to about heaven.  Without the three of you, I would be empty and shallow.  Because of you, I believe there is a purpose to this life which has left me a changed person.  I would suffer a million heartbreaks to keep you safe.  If God had told me he would give me three children and take one at 18 months, I would have all three of you and endured the pain all over again just to have known Webb and taken care of him for that short time.  Was it long enough?  No.  Is life ever long enough to be with the people you love this much?  I don't think so.  I thank God for the privilege of being your mother.  It is my most important job and the one I love the most.  There are simply not enough words to explain the depth of my feelings for all of you.  Giving you life has saved my life.                

1 comment:

  1. Posted by MERRYHEART...

    Ashley, what a poignant essay on Motherhood! You have voiced so elegantly the heart of millions of mothers throughout time. I know you write this with tears in your eyes and sorrow in your heart. It is indeed the greatest blessing to nurture a precious child. That is why is it so hard to say goodbye to our most treasured possession....a child. The old saying, "It is better to have loved than lost, than never to have loved at all" is so true when it comes to our children. Yes, there are no guarantees that we will always have our children but my, how we have been blessed by their presence in our life! We are forever changed by them! I continue to pray for you and your family as you walk through these difficult days.

    Thank you for beautifully expressing the love of a mother. Blessings, Sue

    ReplyDelete