Friday, February 6, 2009

Resurfacing?

It has been 6 weeks.  That sounds like such a short amount of time, but it feels like an eternity since I last held Webb.  Today Whit looked so much like him.  For a minute, I pretended it was Webb, but that could not last long.  There is still a giant hole that no amount of daydreaming can fill.  My baby is gone, and nothing can bring him back.  My feelings are such a mess.  One minute I feel like I am going to be fine, and then next I am bawling my eyes out.  I feel so vulnerable, so detached.  The vivid memories of the hospital and the sequence of events leading to the final hour still haunt me.  I can clearly remember every last second Webb was still with us...I can remember our last moments with him as though they just happened.  After that, I remember very little.  Other than the week we spent in Vail and the three days I spent in New Orleans, the past six weeks are a total blur - almost a black hole in my memory.  One thing I can remember pretty clearly are my dreams.  I have only dreamt about Webb twice - in one dream I was holding him, and in the other I replayed his last three days, but in a different way.  Then I have this dream that repeats:  I am on a dock, or a cliff, and I fall into water.  I go down and down into darkness for what seems like forever until I touch the bottom, and then I shoot back up.  Not too hard to analyze that one, huh??  I hope this means one day I will resurface, but I fear that means I have not yet hit the bottom.  

I am still so confused about God's plan in all of this.  What hurts me the most is that He could have healed Webb, He could have given us our Christmas, lifetime miracle, but He did not.  Why?  I know God is good, I believe it to the bottom of my soul, but I still cannot understand what good could possibly come from leaving us here without Webb.  I know this story has touched so many people, and I honestly want this to change and effect people for the better, but why do we have to make that sacrifice?  It is not fair.  However, it seems when I become angry, it only strengthens my faith in God because I know He is the one who has kept me alive for 6 weeks.  There have been days I have wanted Him to be angry or absent, but He has not failed me.  When I cry out, He comforts me.  When I am angry, I feel Him beside me, almost nodding as though He understands.  Of course He understands.  That has been the craziest part of this entire experience - the One who could have prevented this from happening is the same One I cannot live without, the same One I have bared my soul to and cling to for dear life.  So I know that God is good and I still love Him.  But I miss my baby.  And that will never go away, no matter how many weeks, months or years go by.  I may resurface with a greater amount of faith than I ever thought possible, but it will not take away the pain of simply missing Webb.  Sometimes I do not know how I will live my entire life missing him so much.                

5 comments:

  1. Hi, my name is Jenny. I lost my son 1 year 4 months ago; he was born still at 20 weeks & I have feel the same way you do at times. I get angry & think why couldn't he stay with me, why did God take him now. I know that no words can take away the pain, but you are in my prayer & would like to correspond with you if you ever need to talk, vent or whatever.
    Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. Matthew 5:4
    P.S. I read The Shack & it has answered a lot of questions for me. It is a very emotional book that I would suggest to anyone. Right now may not be the time for you to read it, but I would suggest one day reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, you don't know me. I found your blog through a blog, and through another blog, and I am just now reading a bit of your story. I am so sorry for your loss and pain. Two years ago, we lost one of our little cousins to leukemia. He had just turned four years old. His parents have made the same kind of expressions as you, missing their little boy terribly now. If you don't mind this suggestion, the next time Jehovah's Witnesses come to your door, ask them to show you the answers to your questions from the Bible. God often answers our prayers in ways that we don't expect. My thoughts are with you... M :}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ashley, you have an amazing ability to express the depth of your grief. I believe that this is healing therapy for you to write down your thoughts. As someone who has been walking with grief for the past two years, I so clearly understand each emotion you expressed and all of it is very normal. Your loss is great and it has touched you at the very depth of your being. To lose a child, is one of life's most tragic events. But God is holding on to you, and giving
    you comfort and strength. His ways are indeed a mystery to us but we can know with a certainty that it is part of His perfect plan. It will all be made clear one day. There is a book that I would like to recommend that helped me so much.
    It is "Treasures in Darkness" by Sharon Betters.
    She lost her precious son, who was a teenager, in a car accident. She expresses her raw grief in a very real way but also shares God's care for her in the midst of her darkest moment. I am continuing to pray for you and asking that God will carry you with His strong arms during the days and weeks ahead. Blessings to you and all your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley, You do not know me either, but I have been reading you story for a couple of weeks now, (found it through another blog) and I ache for you sooooo bad. I can not imagine what you are going through. I have even sat and thought about how my life would be without my ONLY child(31) or my ONLY grandson (4) and I too would be feeling the same thing you are,asking the same questions. It is not fair that you lost your little one, But God has a plan for him or he would not have taken him from you. I promise you that Webb is in a better place than you and I right now. I know that doesn't make it any easier for you, but just keep God in your heart and soul. HE will bring you through these hard times. I was very glad to hear that you went to New Orleans for a few days to be with your friend. I know that had to help some at least. (I also live in Louisiana, we call it God's COUNTRY.) I will continue to follow your blog and pray for you and your family daily. Kathy from Louisiana

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been following your blog and some other families more closely in the last few weeks. I have been praying for them as they have lost their precious angels as well. My heart has been so heavy from the innocents loss. I have questioned God as to how these family's are better without their child and I have a hard time finding peace. As you stated, somehow, in all my questions, I have been closer to God. I know its not for me to understand. I will continue to pray for you and your family to find your peace.

    ReplyDelete