Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Update

Jamelle is back, thank God!!  She is feeling much better, and we are all so glad she is going to be ok.  Thank you all for your prayers.  The boys were so excited to see her and spend time with her today.  I also took two big steps...Sunday was my first day back to church service, and Monday I went into work for the first time since December 23.  I only stayed a couple hours, and it was an odd experience, but it is done.  I would be lying if I said I am 100% ready to be back at work.  I am not sure I'll ever be ready, and the truth is, I am a different person than the one who walked out the door December 23.  But going back, starting over and trying to do something besides grieving is important to me.  It has been 9 weeks, and it was time to try.  I am taking very small steps, but I do feel like I have accomplished something huge.  Today, I also went to the cemetery for the first time in several weeks.  I have not felt compelled to go there much, as I know it is only Webb's body that is there, and his spirit is everywhere.  But today, I felt the urge to go, so I went.  I knelt down by his grave and sobbed for several minutes.  I talked to him and prayed for him and for us.  It was such a peaceful moment, but very surreal. "Am I really visiting one of my children at a cemetery?" I kept thinking to myself.  I looked at his name and the dates of his birth and death on the temporary plaque, and it still seemed as unbelievable as it always does.  Webb is gone.  The little name I picked out, my namesake, the name I wrote on pieces of paper when I was pregnant with the twins: "Webber Bennett Broach," is now etched in stone.  Is this really still happening?  I was telling a friend of mine today that I feel like I am clinging to a tree in the middle of a tornado.  I can only focus on the present, because anything farther away than an hour seems too overwhelming.  My mind is still processing the shock we went through this Christmas, and the shock is too huge to be gone yet.              

3 comments:

  1. Ashley, tears come as I read of your visit to the cemetery. No parent ever plans on this happening...to visit the grave of our precious child. You are walking through a deep valley of grief now but it was good to hear that you are taking small steps in going back to church and work. I know this is hard because your heart aches no matter where you are.....it is a pain that you cannot run from but it is good to do some normal things again. The shock and trauma of what you experienced takes time to heal and you are still in the early days.

    I am praying for your strength day by day as you continue to get up each day and do the things before you. You are blessed to have the joy of a husband to lean on and the love of your sons. God is good and He will never leave or forsake you. I have read that when we walk through the dark it gives a wonderful background to show forth the glory of Christ!


    "Even though I walk
    through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil,
    for you are with me;
    Your rod and staff,
    they comfort me." (Ps.23:4)

    In Christ, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear that you are having the strength and the will to venture out. And to consider dabbling in billable hours - that's really bold!

    I have always admired you for your spirit and style; your incredible faith and grace have been added to the list. I am so proud to call you a friend. Keep hanging on - there's always sunshine after a storm.

    Love, Alison

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you have taken that step in returning to work, even though it was only a few hours. Being at work will keep your mind off your heartache for a few minutes anyway and you will soon be able to stay at work longer each time. Believe it or not, one day your life will be back to normal. I know that is hard for you to see happening right now, but it will. You will still think about Webb, of course, everyday for the rest of your life, but it will get easier. Just continue to trust in God and be there for your children and husband, you know we mothers have to keep everything running smooth on the HOME-FRONT. Ashley I still pray for you and your family every night and I am so glad that you are taking some steps toward healing. Thinking and praying for you always....Kathy

    ReplyDelete