Thursday, January 15, 2009

Home Again

Well, we made it home, and I certainly felt all of your prayers as we did it.  Bo walked in the door and immediately went to "work."   This is what he does constantly.  He grabs his tool box and usually his fire hat and sets off hammering things or "fixing" things.  The child's work ethic rivals my daddy's.  He does it for HOURS.  Tonight he told me "I'm going to work.  And Whittie can come with me and Webbie....." he paused and literally got the saddest look on his face..."Webbie can't come, can he?"  "No sweetheart," I answered, tears running down my face.  Why does this three year old have to deal with this?  Why will Whit never know his twin brother?  Why did this happen to us??  In the past three weeks, I've done a lot of "Why asking."  I can't understand how there are people who abuse their children or don't want them and yet have them until they die.  I don't know why there are people who are not nice, who lie, cheat and steal, and yet get the privilege of having healthy children who outlive them.  Zac and I aren't perfect but we LOVE our kids, we love each other, we are GOOD people...why us??   I suppose we may never know the answers to those rhetorical sounding questions.  But in one of the books I am reading about grief, I found three small nuggets of peace for all my why asking:
1.  Jesus does not promise if we lead a good life only good things will happen
2.  God does not pick favorites and allow life to "work out" for those people
3.  God is not evil and did not take Webb to hurt us.  He knows what it is like to lose a son; therefore, he knows EXACTLY how we feel and grieves WITH us.
Whoa.  That's a lot to absorb in one night, but what wonderful, practical thoughts.  That does not mean I will quit my why asking.  It also doesn't mean I won't still question why Webb had to die and why this tragedy befell on MY family and be angry for it.  But it's certainly a start in the right direction.  And right now, that's all we can ask for.

5 comments:

  1. Ashley,
    I am so happy you all made it back safely. I know tonight and many days ahead will be very hard but know that we are thinking about you and are constantly praying that you find peace in this tragedy. What a special little angel you have now watching over you, Zac and the boys.

    I wish we had the answers to all your "whys". Keep asking them, its all part of the healing process.

    Thinking of you,
    Kelly Willson Wardrop

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you so much, Ashley. I keep asking "why" myself. I wish I could take away some of your hurt. I am constantly praying for God to comfort you and to show you He is going to take care of you. I am so proud of you for handling this healing process. I am here if you EVER need me.
    Love you, Polly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley...you continue to amaze me! Asking why is completely normal. I know all of us out here are asking the same things with you. I will continue to pray that God guides you in finding your answers to why. All I know is that you are one incredible lady...all who know you are blessed. You are NEVER far from my thoughts and prayers.
    Much, much love....
    Heather Rutherford

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley, I'm so glad you all made it home safely. I think about all of you and pray for you everyday.
    "The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition....And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds" Philippians 4:6-7

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley, you don't know me. I found your blog through a blog, and through another blog, and I am just now reading a bit of your story. I am so sorry for your loss and pain. Two years ago, we lost one of our little cousins to leukemia. He had just turned four years old. His parents have made the same kind of expressions as you, missing their little boy terribly now. If you don't mind this suggestion, the next time Jehovah's Witnesses come to your door, ask them to show you the answers to your questions from the Bible. God often answers our prayers in ways that we don't expect. My thoughts are with you... M :}

    ReplyDelete