Sunday, January 18, 2009

Walking through the Valley....

I have always believed in God.  I remember being a small child, just as analytical as I am today, and never questioning that there was a God or Christ.  In fact, I would become very confused when I found out about other religions because nothing else made sense.  Today, I wonder why I question literally everything and analyze things to no end, yet I have never questioned something as major as my faith.  Even in the dark days that have made up my weeks since my precious Webb died, I have been ANGRY with God, but I have not questioned that there is a heaven and that my baby is with Jesus Christ.  Finally, after much thought, and talking with a dear friend who has also untimely lost a loved one, I came to a conclusion: I don't want to believe in God and Jesus and Heaven....I have to.  I have to believe that angels came and took Webb to a better place, a place of no pain and no sorrow.  I have to believe that God has him right this minute, because if I can't have him, there is no one else I would trust to have him.  And I have to believe that we will see him again, because if I don't believe in that, I have very little reason to keep going.  

Zac and I were talking today and we realized we have (if we're lucky), about 50 more years to live.  I cannot imagine 50 more days without Webb, let alone 50 more years.  I suspect the next 50 years will bring some great days, but there will always be a huge hole in our hearts.  It frustrates me that we had to lose one of the most important things to us so young.  It panics me to think of losing another child.  While we have always talked about having 4 or 5 children, I cannot imagine taking our chances after knowing what it is like to lose something you love more than yourself.  It is unimaginable to think we can actually lose one of these little gifts from God that we hold closer to our hearts than anything else....and yet we have.  Here we sit, grieving and in total agony because our baby is not with us.

I remember sitting in church, probably at the age of about 10, and the preacher was talking about the 23rd Psalm.  Something he said stuck for some reason, and it has resonated these past few days.  He explained that while we must walk through the valley of the shadow of death, God never said we should dwell in it.  I oftentimes think God had me in all these places and situations like that day in church 20 years ago just to prepare me for this horrible time, because those words from that preacher spoken 20 years ago bring me comfort today.  So while I am walking through the valley, I want to thank all of those who are walking (literally and figuratively) right along with me.  God also knew what he was doing when he gave me to my parents, to Zac and to Zac's family, and to all of my priceless, wonderful friends.  You didn't know you'd being walking this walk with me, but thanks for jumping on the path.  And thanks in advance for not letting me dwell in valley of the shadow of Webb's death.  He would want more out of his mommy, and Bo and Whit deserve the best I can be.   

4 comments:

  1. How you can pour your heart out so eloquently is beyond my own words. Some time ago, I was talking with a random group of people from church and this woman mentioned that her daughter passed away when she was 15 which for her, was probably 20 years or more ago. In any case, I told her how sorry I was and how I couldn't imagine how painful that must be for her. She said to me in the calmest, most reassuring voice that had God come to her when her daughter was born and said I have this precious little girl that I am going to loan to you but just for 15 years, do you still want her, she would have never hesitated. She sees those 15 years as a gift from God and would have rather loved and lost than never to have loved at all, as the saying goes. Anyways, I hope the peace that this lady seemed to have found comes to you one day as well.

    Much love, Alison Boyer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please, if you need a friend, don't hesitate to call me. We lost Alexander on Dec 30, 2008. He, too, is a twin. My boys turned 1 year old on Jan 4 this year.

    It's ok to grieve however long and however you want. Take your time. The 3rd Thurs of every month The Compassionate Friends group meets. We went to our first meeting last week. I'm amazed at how much just being with other parents who lost children helped.

    Call me anytime. 404.271.1482
    Kari Judson kari_judson@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ashley~ I miss you so much, and I am with you every step of the way. Close friends of mine in Nashville that don't even know you say that even they think of you every day, simply because it's clear how loved you are. True friends are so close, no matter how far the distance might be. I hope that my feelings are floating straight to your heart... That's where they're all aimed.

    love,
    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  4. Add,
    i am just dumbfounded but then again not really at how you are able to just so eloquently place the words of struggle and grief and hope and healing out there. I love your blog i am able to cry for you literally, and just bend down and pray for you, for Zac, for Bo, for Whit, for Webb and all of your family. i treasure you and i will be walking with you for the rest of our lives.
    love,
    katie

    ReplyDelete