Friday, January 30, 2009

heaven

I have been thinking a lot about heaven.  I have asked many of my friends their opinions on heaven...what does it look like?  Do we instantly meet up with our loved ones?  Are we walking around in our bodies?  Is there an actual place we all live?  I know there are glimpses into what heaven is like in the Bible, and I know there have been people who have died and come back and described it.  Everyone talks about the light, the feeling of warmth... But now, more than ever, I find myself wondering exactly where Webb is.  There is no one in heaven he has met.  Zac and I have grandparents there, but none of them knew Webb.  I know they have managed to find him if there is a way, but I often wonder....who is Webb with in heaven?  Because Webb dying before us was such an unnatural progression, I never really thought about it before now.  You always think about heaven as the place you'll go and see all those who have gone before you : grandparents, great grandparents, parents...you never really think about your child going before you.  I know in my soul that Webb is ok, that there must be a special place for children in heaven because Jesus so loved the little children.  But who is taking care of him?  After all, I am his mother, and I'd like to know.  I wonder if he can see us, or check in on us?  I wonder if he'll "be there" when Bo graduates from high school or Whit gets married.  I wonder if I'll feel him, really and truly feel him during all those moments when my heart is aching for him to be there.  I hope so.  It seems there is such a thin little veil separating us from the spiritual world.  I always believed in heaven, but now I feel a strong sense of having to know what it is.  I am his mother...it is not natural for your child to be somewhere away from you in a place you've never seen.  I am his mother...I should know where he is at all times.  I beg God every night to hold him close, to keep him safe.  Yet I know there is no such thing as being scared in heaven.  I understand he is in a place of no pain, a place where we would all like to be.  That does bring me comfort, but it is not what my heart wants today.  I want him here.  With me, with his father, with his brothers.  I want to be taking care of him still...he's just a baby!  I am his mother!!  I do not understand this plan.  I never will.  God is going to have to hear these questions out of me for the rest of my life on Earth (and probably for the first few days I am in heaven, if He'll listen).  I hate being separated from my child.  That is what is so hard about this entire thing.  I am longing to be with Webb, but to do that I would to have to leave Bo and Whit.  It is just not natural to separate a mother from her child.  I used to hate to be away from them for more than a couple hours.  It is unbearable to think about not being with one for 50 or more years.  My faith gets me through the days and nights, and I think, what if we did not have this promise of heaven, of eternity?  Well, then there would be nothing.  God does promise us eternity and he does promise to never leave us.  How would we survive if we didn't have those promises?          

5 comments:

  1. Ashley, my heart is breaking for you. Grief is an overwhelming emotion that can only be understood by experiencing it. It has been two years since I lost my daughter and grandmother within two months of each other. The first year is a blur for me. Please be patient with yourself....you have lost your precious baby and your heart has been ripped out. You will find that the grief will come in waves. Sometimes it is almost unbearable but God will never let go of you. Someday you will will laugh again but give yourself plenty of time for healing. It helps to have someone who will listen to you as you express your deepest feelings. I hope you have a friend or family member that will be there for you as you walk through this. I found that reading Christian books on grief and loss were very helpful. It gave me assurance that others have been through this valley and I could make it too! I can see you are trusting in Christ and he understands your breaking heart and He will send comfort your way over and over again. It may be in an encouraging word just when you needed it, a note from a friend,
    a verse that gives you consolation or the words of a song that comes on the radio that echo your feelings. I am praying for you and asking the Lord to give you and your family special grace and strength in the coming days. There is a verse that says God collects our tears in bottles. (Ps. 56;9) He knows each tear and not a tear is shed in vain. He gives us the gift of tears and counts each one. Blessing to you. S.E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read your whole blog tonight and went through a box of tissues. Your story hits my heart in so my ways. I have twins so your story pulls at every heartstring to hear you talk about yours. You will always be a mother of 3, always. I pray for your peace in this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know first hand that sometimes words do comfort us when we lose a child & sometimes they do not, but I wanted to share this Hymn with you (maybe now or maybe later, you will find some kind of comfort).

    Safe in the arms of Jesus, safe on His gentle breast,
    There by His love o’ershaded, sweetly my soul shall rest.
    Hark! ’tis the voice of angels, borne in a song to me.
    Over the fields of glory, over the jasper sea.

    Safe in the arms of Jesus, safe on His gentle breast
    There by His love o’ershaded, sweetly my soul shall rest.

    Safe in the arms of Jesus, safe from corroding care,
    Safe from the world’s temptations, sin cannot harm me there.
    Free from the blight of sorrow, free from my doubts and fears;
    Only a few more trials, only a few more tears!

    Jesus, my heart’s dear Refuge, Jesus has died for me;
    Firm on the Rock of Ages, ever my trust shall be.
    Here let me wait with patience, wait till the night is over;
    Wait till I see the morning break on the golden shore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley,
    I read a book called Heaven by Randy Alcorn several years ago. It gave me such an eternal perspective of this life and a glimpse into what Heaven will be like. I recommend it if you are looking for deeper answers about Heaven. Also, my pastor David Platt (you may have known him at UGA) did an amazing series last fall called "Why? The gospel and suffering". It is based in the book of Job. I had just finished another study on Job when we starting Why? and I learned so many truths about who God is and began to wrap my mind around how to reconcile God and suffering. If you are interested in listening to it you can listen on line or download it to your ipod from www.brookhills.org Just look under previous messages and you should be able to find it.

    Love you,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete